Emergent Web Technologies Spring 2009
With a title like "Emergent Web Technologies", I was tempted to make this class focus on the most cutting edge web technologies I could think of. Unfortunately, when I looked around for what was at the bleeding edge today in the web world, I realized that I have no idea what's going to be relevant a year, 5 years or ten years from now.
So, instead of making this class about the latest buzzwords, I've decided to focus on some of the more exciting things that are happening as standardized and open source web technologies continue to evolve and solidify.
The undercurrent of this class will be sustainability and standardization. We will discuss web technologies that not only are moving in some exciting directions, but are also developing in a way that insures they will be relevant in the future.
Who's teaching this class?
Tools for This Class
This is a list of tools that may come in handy for this class. I will be updating it as we go along.
- Firebug (Amazing Firefox Extension that will make your life easier)
- Web Developer Toolbar (Another Firefox Extension that will make your life easier)
Local Web Servers
- MAMP (Develop with Apache, MySQL and PHP locally in OS X)
- XAMPP (Develop with Apache, MySQL and PHP locally in Windows)
Validation and Good Style
- W3C Markup Validator (Make sure your sites validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict)
Model View Controller
Command Line Tutorials
Ruby on Rails
- Ruby on Rails Homepage
- Intro to Rails
- 15 Minute Weblog Tutorial Video
- Getting Started Guide
- Rails Guides
- Railscasts (screencasts about Rails topics)