2017 IAM Summer Challenge
2017 Summer Challenge Theme
June is the month for IAM's summer challenge. The annual challenge is like a game jam, but with more time to build out projects. Work can start at any time after the theme is posted (June 1st), but must be completed by June 30th. All participants will receive free custom shirts for participating, and there may be other prizes! Sign up for the challenge by June 12th to reserve your shirt.
Create a project that addresses navigating the city in an innovative way, and one that is not purely about entertainment. Consider incorporating a social, economic, political, or other alternative perspective.
Use any technology you like (from pen-and-paper to AR/VR - your choice).
- "Traversing the landscape is the best part of the voyage": have you experienced this in Chicago?
- What barriers have you seen in Chicago (social, economic, political, or others)? How do people move between them?
- Chicago's grid is the city's circulatory system. Article: The Grid helps Chicago navigate the city’s streets—and its history
- The "digital divide". Article: Digital engagement reshapes politics
- Chicago class divides (e.g., working, creative/knowledge, and service classes) Article: Class-Divided Cities: Chicago Edition
- 2010: The top 1% of households (the upper class) owns 35.4% of all privately held wealth while the bottom 80% of households (wage and salary workers) have only 11% of the wealth (from Social Stratification and Mobility in the United States
1. travel across or through. "he traversed the forest" synonyms: travel over/across, cross, journey over/across, pass over; wander, roam, range: "he traversed the deserts of Iran" consider or discuss the whole extent of (a subject): "he would traverse a number of subjects and disciplines" 2. move (something) back and forth or sideways.
1. an act of traversing something.
Judge, Mentor, and Consultant: Julian Grant
Acclaimed filmaker, animator, and visual artist Julian Grant has joined IAM and will be providing insight and guidance to the 2017 Summer Challenge participants.
- Sign up by June 12th to reserve your t-shirt
- Projects must be finished June 30th by noon
- At least one team member is a member of an Interactive Arts and Media department major (or animation and visual effects student).
- At least one team member is available on June 30th at 2:00 for the challenge wrap up
All participants will receive a free t-shirt for participating. Additionally there may be other prizes!