Game Programming Class2
free game fonts XNA Redistributable Font Pack
note this font pack is now included in XNA 4
All of the examples for this class and the basic game library we wil be building is in our SVN repo this week we'll practice checking out a folder from the repo.
The XNA Game class has two private properties
- GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;
- ContentManager content;
//the game constuctor can be used to set some graphics settings. graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 768; graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 1024; //graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 1080; //graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 1920; //graphics.IsFullScreen = true;
- Declare SpriteBatch spriteBatch;
- Update(GameTime gameTime)
FrameRate and GameTime
Time and Timespan
Example of update using GameTime to calculate elapsed time
Understanding GameTime We'll revisit game time when we talk about performance profiling.
- Draw(GameTime gameTime)
Console And Trace
We will build a console class later and debug in game.
Texture2D and SpriteBatches
About textures and Batching
- Options SpriteBlendMode
- Additive Enable additive blending. http://blogs.msdn.com/etayrien/archive/2006/12/19/alpha-blending-part-3.aspx
- AlphaBlend Enable alpha blending. http://blogs.msdn.com/etayrien/archive/2006/12/19/alpha-blending-part-2.aspx
- None No blending specified.
Inclass Keyboard input demo
KeyboardState keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState();
input from Game Controller and Keyboard
XNA has built in support for up to 4 game controllers. The default controller is a x-box controller. X-Box Controller The Controller is accessed through the GamePad Object and the GamePadState Structure reference types <csharp>
//Get an instance of the gamePadState Structure GamePadState gamePad1State = GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One);
/*Since the Keyboard structure is Windows only we need to use some preprocessor directives to only compile the KeyBoard state code if the target is not XBOX360 (I should also add zune if this is one of our build targets)
#if !XBOX360 #region KeyBoard KeyboardState keyboardState = Keyboard.GetState(); #endif
Angle Measured in Radians
using atan2 to get the angle from the direction vector
GamePad.SetVibration(PlayerIndex.One, 1.0f, 1.0f); //left low freq motor right high freq motor
- XNA Picture With Update
- Update you picture to include some movement with the update method.
- Sprite Class
- Build a class that is reusable that can draw a single texture on the screen. Be sure to encapsulate all the properties and method that you need to draw the sprite.
- Read Chapter 2 in XNA 3.0
- Read Chapter 4 in XNA 3.0 (yes we skipped 3 we'll come back)