2017 Manifest Game Challenge
2017 Manifest Game Challenge
Each year the IAM department hosts a game jam that culminates on Manifest. Teams have 24 hours to produce a game!
- Team sign up deadline: (TBA) (first 6 teams fulfilling requirements will be accepted)
- The Big Meeting: Thursday, May 11, 4:00 pm (Challenge theme and guidelines announced. Build begins.)
- Onsite Building: Friday, May 12, 10 AM – 4:00 PM (at least 2 members on site at all times)
- Game Finished: Friday, May 12, 4:00 PM
- Game Presentations: Friday, May 12, 4:00 – 4:30 PM:
- Prizes Announced: Friday, May 12, 5:00 PM
The Basic assumptions
- Programmers like to program
- Creators (artists, sound designers, etc) like to create
- Programmers and Creators like to collaborate
- Programmers and Creators like to show off
- It's possible to make a game in 24 hours
Students form small teams (max 5 people) to build a game collaboratively in 24 consecutive hours. The game concept is revealed at 4:00 pm the day before Manifest, and the teams have until 4:00 pm the day of Manifest to complete their version of the game. Each team needs to have a team leader and at least one freshman or first year transfer student to be eligible for prizes.
General Rules & Regulations:
Failure to meet these rules will result in disqualification
- Teams have no more than 5 members.
- Teams must include at least 1 freshman or first-year transfer student (in any one of IAM's majors)
- Teams must have a designated Team Leader.
- No purchased assets may be used during the build.
- At least 2 team members must be present on Friday (Manifest) between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.
- The Open Lab will not be available during development.
- All teams will present their game starting at 4:00 PM. The first-year student from each team must also be present and explain their contribution to their team’s game.
- All content must be developed by the team members. You may not use any unoriginal content. However, you may use previously built content (i.e., you can incorporate material created earlier as long as the people on the team are the sole creators).
- Team members must wear Game Challenge T-Shirts on Day of Manifest
The 2017 Game Challenge Judges: (TBA)
Each game is judged on five criteria: theme, functionality, originality/creativity, completeness, and fun.
All team members receive a custom designed t-shirt.
Thursday, May 11
4:00 PM: Challenge theme and guidelines announced. Build begins.
Friday, May 12
10 AM – 4:00 PM: Onsite build.
4:00 – 5:00 PM: Game presentations.
5:00 PM: Judging and awards.
Q: How many machines can we work on?
A: As many as you need. However the department will only provide a maximum of two networked machines in the build challenge space. If you want to use more machines, you need to bring them. We encourage everyone on the teams to bring their own laptop to the event.
Q: Do we all have to work on site?
A: Not all of you do. However, at least two members of your team need to be onsite and working between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm on Friday for your team to stay qualified for the prizes.
Q: What technologies can we use?
A: There is no restriction on technology, as long as everything created is original (created by the team members).
This annual event started in 2009.