Virtual Worlds Concepts
Class 1 Vocabulary Words
- sim (simulator)
- prim (primitive)
Class 2 Deconstruction of cybersubculture
- What is culture?
- is often based on geography
- there is no monoculture in the world, but there are dominant ones
- What is a subculture?
- a subset of a culture
- grouped around similar interests, behaviors, attitudes, music, cuisine, art, etc
- often going against the dominant culture
- examples include: goth, punk, star trek (fans), fantasy, etc
- subculture on the 'net
- Introduction to SL "groups"
- Discuss Cyberfeminism, Cybersexuality, Cyberbodies, Post-Cyberbodies
- Discuss Robbins, Kevin. Cyberspace and the World We Live In. The Cybercultures Reader, Routledge. 2000.
- Discuss 3 objects ou built that belong to a subculture
- Advanced Building techniques
- Texture and Light
- User Experience
- Field Trip 1 2 and 3.
- Visit Science island (Science Friday)
- Visit Terrapin Station
- Discuss Scaling Cyberspaces and Colonisation of Cyberspace
*Appearance and Attachments revisited (also HUDs) *Commerce in Second Life *Making a Living in Second Life *Field Trip 4,5, and 6 *Machinima *Overview of Scripted Objects *Narrative and Non-Narrative Interactivity *Scripting for Interacivity *Scriptng for Commerce *Scripting for Data Communication *Scriting For motion
- Discuss Activism in Second Life, Conscious Lounge
*Showing the Work in class *Discuss Group activity in Second Life *In-clas exercise:
- Install on island